19 November 2010

The Untouchables

www.surferjerry.com

Recent discussions with friends (by no means hostile) have brought to light semi-political views that I wasn’t really even aware I harbored and made me examine my beliefs a bit. It seems that I hold my husband’s career on a figurative pedestal. I don’t dismiss other careers, even my own, as unimportant or somehow lesser, but I hold the military in an entirely different category – in fact, I think I always have. Even before becoming a military spouse, I attributed much of the success of this country to the actions of a strong and dedicated armed force. Throughout history, in peace and in war time, the presence of a unified defense has signified the freedoms that we now can’t envision life without. The fact that I can openly share my opinion in this forum is directly attributable to the men and women who serve that defense.

When I read a recent article about potential pay freezes and other cuts to military benefits it pained me for reasons beyond my personal finances. I can now say with some authority that we (and by we, I mean in the collective sense – not just C and I) give up certain freedoms to ensure the freedom of our country. To think that those who serve could be compensated less than they already are is appalling to me. Our society is so backwards in that we reward outlandish behavior with fame and money, yet want to cut the pay of those who provide the very path to providing such liberties. Do I think that anyone deserves a pay cut or freeze or any other monetary pitfall? Absolutely not. I also know that people do not join the military because of the glamorous pay. But when considering where to cut funds, I strongly believe that military members and families ought to reside in a category labeled “untouchable”.