19 October 2010

No Need for Kumbaya

Don’t worry…the parachute blog is still to come, but first, another update.

Today I spent my morning at a spouse’s meeting called Heartlink. At first I was afraid of being cajoled into uncomfortable icebreakers and touchy-feely mentoring (not really my thing), but I was pleased to discover that it was really just an informative gathering for new military spouses. We learned about the resources available on base and got some great pointers from veteran wives.


A few things I learned:
  •   Air force bases abound with resources!  We were visited by practically every service-oriented department on base, from the base chaplain to the manager of the commissary. I learned about three different forms of confidential counseling, two different spouses clubs, and countless people whose job it is to make my life easier. Who knew?
      There is something good about every station. I listened to other wives who have followed their military men all over the country (and sometimes out of the country) and they seemed so satisfied with their lives. They had a fond memory of every base, from Alamogordo, NM to Anchorage, AK, even if it wasn’t their ideal location.
      My career doesn’t end when my husband’s begins. These same ladies who have followed their husbands’ careers for the last decade or two, in no way seemed dissatisfied with their own lives. They were able to achieve their career goals, start and raise families, and support their husbands along the way – which they said was more of a source of pride than anything else.
      It’s okay to ask questions. From the various speakers to the other wives in the room, everyone I met was very supportive and willing to share their wisdom. It seems as though Air force wives are a family unto themselves, whose main goal is simply to make life easier for each other. There was no question too simple or complex.

While it was very useful to find out about the resources available to me, I think the most rewarding experience of the morning was feeling, for the first time, like I am part of a larger community. There are other people around here to support my family with the changes we’re facing and potential friends to be made. They may not be in the exact position that I’m in, but they share the discomfort of the unknown all the same. We don’t have to hold hands and sing Kumbaya to share that bond.