28 October 2010

It's Getting Hot in Here

Despite the cooling temperatures, the heat is definitely turning up in the world of pilot training. Long days in class are followed by longer nights studying. C has two tests this week (systems test 2 down – another 100% - and aerodynamics tomorrow), a sim ride, and two more sims next week – all of which take oodles of preparation. We’ve starting hosting study groups, giving me a chance to get rid of my baked goods, and giving the students a chance to collaborate.

It’s finally hit me that even though we cohabitate, I really might not actually see my husband for the next year or so. It’s difficult for H to understand that even though Daddy is home, we can’t bug him or hang out with him. (She’s desperate to show off her hourly princess wardrobe change) All of this is in preparation for the so-called “15-day program” – the first 15 days (give or take) on the flight line until every student solos. It’s rumored to be the most intense and time-consuming part of the program: basically, flight hell. It’s frightening to think that we might actually see C less than we do now, but it’s coming.

On Friday, last week, C got a chance to attend the graduation of the class a year ahead of him. He said it was really motivating to see the guys who were once where he is now, finished and leaving for their careers. It was a metaphoric “light at the end of the tunnel” for him.

H and I are focused on staying busy with our own hobbies. She’s warming up to preschool and has a busy week of Halloween activities, while I am working towards my writing and fitness goals and experimenting in the kitchen a lot. It’s been a tough week adjusting to C’s schedule, but I think we’ve found our groove now. 

The Pumpkin Patch - One of this week's many activities