21 December 2010

Downward Dog and Other Perks

There are many things to get used to living on an Air Force base for the first time, but I’m beginning to learn that there are plenty of perks as well. I rarely drive, and when I do, a tank of gas can last for weeks. The commissary and Bx are across the street and are tax-free. (Also really cost-effective!) The library is also within walking distance and, though small, the librarians are friendly and even pull books aside for me when my favorites come in. The park is just a walking path away and a favorite of H’s. I love the proximity of friends and the built in support network of spouses.

We love the base park!

One of the services that I’ve come to value the most is the fee-free base gym. My friend, M, and I have made fitness one of our goals during pilot training and have been taking advantage of the facilities and classes available to us. We started in our comfort zone with cardio machines and weights, but this week we decided to give the Monday morning yoga class a shot. Despite now having muscles that feel like they’ve been pulled behind a truck, the class was fun, effective, and best of all – FREE! I may not have mastered downward dog yet, but I think I’ll be giving it another try soon.

Okay, so this isn't me (as if I would post myself doing this pose!), but it COULD be
Picture: alaskaartguild.com/Yoga

M and I have the good fortune to be going back to the same base together after pilot training, so I’m thrilled to have her as a constant, but I’m also nervous about the prospect of losing the camaraderie and convenience of base life. Where will I connect with other spouses? How will I afford groceries? How will I stay in shape? Yet as these questions haunt me, I also remember that we have nearly a year left to go, so these luxuries remain mine and my fears can linger for another day.